Monday, June 9, 2014

Am I Still A Broncos Fan?

Joshua 14:8-10
Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt:but I wholly followed the Lord my God. And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the Lord my God. And now, behold, the Lord hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the Lord spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness:and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.




I have been a Denver Broncos fan for 19 years. I have been through the highs and the lows. I was there from John Elway's Super Bowl wins and retirement through Peyton Manning's historic record breaking season and crushing Super Bowl loss. I have cheered for the greats and also for men like Bubby Brister, Gus Frerotte, Mark Brunell, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Kyle Orton and the boy wonder Tim  Tebow. I have seen stars come and seen them go. I have not always agreed with the decisions the front office made, whether firing a coach, not signing a free agent, cutting a contributing team player or overpaying for a new free agent. However, regardless that was "my team". So, I found the good in whatever the decision was and decided to cheer anyway.


Each year, no matter what reality or the critics said, I believed and shouted from the roof tops that "my team" the Broncos had a chance. A chance???.... Chance nothing... I had them in the Super Bowl every year!!! I was truly a team guy, they were my team and I was their guy. I buy all of the team gear every year and wear it proudly, supporting "my team". 

Over the last 19 years it has been up and down. We have won our division a few times, but have only made it to the AFC Championship Game once in the 16 years since the 1998 Super Bowl win. The Broncos have been good to me of late, winning the AFC West Division Championship 3 straight years. Last year, they lost a heartbreaking Divisional round game to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens. This year.... well this year Peyton Manning broke all sorts of records. This year, we owned the AFC. This year, we beat the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game. This year, Seattle embarrassed us in the Super Bowl. 

Am I still a fan? Of course. Denver all the way in 2015!

I didn't stop cheering for the Broncos when John Elway retired. I am a BRONCOS fan, not just a John Elway fan.

I didn't stop cheering for the Broncos when they cut Shannon Sharpe, Elvis Dumervil or Champ Bailey. I wasn't just a follower of man, I was fan of the Broncos.

Many new "fans" have came along over the past few years. Many fans came with Tim Tebow and even more fans have come with Peyton Manning. However, when Peyton is gone and it's Brock Osweiler's team, I will still be a Denver Broncos fan!

Now you may not be a Broncos fan, but if you are a true fan, and not a fair weather fan, you can agree that a fan prides himself in his loyalty to his team.

My question is this.... 

If we are so loyal to our sports teams, why are we so quick to toss our allegiance to our church and "the things we have heard of many witnesses" to the wayside?

Why when someone in church does something we do not like are we so quick to look for another church?

We don't do that when our "team" messes up?

Why when a Pastor falls into sin or compromises do we begin to write books and blogs in an attempt redefine a movement? 

We don't do that with our "team" do we?

Why when a Bible Standard conflicts with the culture are you so quick to conform to culture and banish the Bible Standard as "unnecessary" "petty" or "minor"?

You don't do that when your expectations for your team conflict with ESPN do you?

Why when other churches with rock music and false bibles have large crowds do you suddenly begin to rethink your commitment to your local Independent Fundamental Baptist Church?

I didn't do that when the NFL was dogging the Broncos in February...

Why?  Because I am a team fan, not a man fan.

I did not join an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church because it was the cool thing to do.

I did not become an Independent Fundamental Baptist Preacher because of the latest flash in the pan Youth Pastor, fancy buildings or large institutions.

I am an Independent Fundamental Baptist Preacher! Why?

Because of Scripture NOT Social Status.
Because of Christ NOT College.
Because of Truth NOT Trends.
Because of a Calling NOT a Crowd.

I was saved, baptized, married, called and have served now for 14 years in an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church.

Have some of the moves of other Pastors baffled me?  Yes.
Have some of the failures of men shocked me?  Yes.
Have some of the directions of colleges and churches changed? Yes.

Does this make me not want to "cheer" for my "team"?  NO!!!
Does this make me question whether I still want to be one?   NO!!!
Does this make me want to find a new "Team"? NO!!!

To the college student, fresh from the Youth Department...
To the Young Couple raising children...
To the Senior Saint tired of standing...

Don't lower your expectation of church for a new program, nicer buildings and looser standards.
Follow God. Follow His Word. Follow your Faith. The Faith that Saved you and Teaches You!

If you are a fair weather fan Preacher and you are just looking for the "Next Big Thing", then go ahead and keep reading those emerging church books, listening to that CCM and excusing your compromise by blaming others on the team. Eventually you will find some evangelical big shot to pattern your ministry after instead of doing it the Bible way.

It's not Jack Hyles' fault you are compromising!
It's not Lee Roberson's fault you are changing!
It's not a college, a "camp" or a periodical that is changing your church.

It's YOU!!!

Maybe that player that got you to like the Team, changed colors or left.
Maybe the scouts and analysts have made you believe another team is better.
Maybe you don't get mentioned or patted on the back as much any more.
Maybe it's just too hard to cheer for "the Team" in the area you live.

Let's be honest... maybe you just became a Fundamentalist for all the wrong reasons!

Not all men and churches are like that though.  Some of us are Independent. Fundamental. Baptist.

There is something about being loyal to God, The Bible and the Truths we have been taught.
In our text, Caleb "wholly followed" God for his life. What if we gave our God, our Bible and our Church the loyalty we give to the sports teams we cheer?

#fuel




No comments:

Post a Comment